The musings of a former office worker stuck in his house applying for jobs, when he would rather be out on the water.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Saturday/Sunday

So this past weekend, A and I went to one of my favorite places as a child. The Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences. A wonderful place, filled with mummies, animals, and of course, DINOSAURS. Namely the T-Rex I desperately wanted to see alive as a child.

In my memory, it was somewhere between the size of a jumbo jet and a skyscraper. Sadly, it was not nearly as big as I recalled. I could actually reach up and touch the bottom jaw. Now keep in mind, I'm probably twice as big, if not bigger, than the last time I saw this giant beast.

But I still got a huge kick out of this museum.  The dinosaurs alone fascinate me. A and I looked at every single skeleton in the place. Herbivore, carnivores, big, small, we looked at them all. We even saw two paleontologists carefully taking the protective plaster off of fresh fossils. And they were listening to "Gimme Two Steps", by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The rest of the museum was filled with things that fascinate the 4 year old boy that I still am. Stuffed creatures from all over the globe. A mummy. I'm not one for dead bodies, but for some reason, that Egyptian priest fascinated me.

I mean, check him out? How cool is that. 2800 years after you die, people still get to see you and know your name, what you did, your role in society. I know Egyptians were fascinated with death, and mummified their remains so their ka would have somewhere to reside. Well this guy is probably as close as any Egyptian will get to being immortal.

Finally winding down our trip through this palace of learning, we took the required visit to the gift shop. I was convinced not to buy a lollipop with a cricket inside it, although looking back, I should have bought it and saved it until after I left A's company. I just don't think girls will ever understand a boy's fascination with bugs. And eating them. And i already told you this place brought out my inner 4 year old, so it isn't that much of a stretch to imagine me wanting to eat a bug.

I guess what I'm saying is if you live in Philly and have a free day, it is totally worth the trip to the Academy. And say hello to the T-Rex and mummy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment