The musings of a former office worker stuck in his house applying for jobs, when he would rather be out on the water.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Lottery

How many people do you know who have won the lottery? I don't know any either. But that hasn't stopped my coworkers from regualarly spending about $100, 2 or 3 times a week, to try to win the lottery. Now, granted, in this economy, the lottery may be just as good an investment as my 401k. But still, $300 a week, for the past month? This just seems a tad silly to me. Now lately, I've seen a lot of commercials talking about what the money spent on political campaigns could have bought. So let us analyze what my corkers $1500 dollars, recently spent on lottery tickets, could buy.

1. 1500 failures, I mean lottery tickets.
2. A 1993 Honda Civic, with 165,000 miles on it.
3. Enough beer to keep my whole office feeling good for the month, instead of all us wondering why we each spent 5 dollars to get nothing,
4. A pool table.
5. Plane tickets for all of us to fly out of the hell hole that is Philadelphia to the wonderful bastion of culture and civility that is Pittsburgh.
6. A season ticket package to the flyers, with enough tickets for every person in the office to see two games from the last row in the arena.
7. 4 tickets to a 3d movie in an Imax theater.

So as you can see, we easily could have smarter investments. I suppose. I mean, I was a part of this, and half the time, I forgot that I was even playing the lottery hen the numbers came on tv.

And if you're wondering? Sadly, we did not win the lottery. So all of us are still here at the office, working our butts off, and thinking about the future.

Because hey! Maybe we'll win this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment