The musings of a former office worker stuck in his house applying for jobs, when he would rather be out on the water.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

A New Fear

I realized today that I am quite frankly afraid of heights. It seems that this fear is directly related to my relative height as well. As a young kid, I remember racing my neighbor up the blue spruce in my side yard to see who could get higher. We could both make it up about 20 feet of tree in roughly 3 or 4 minutes. Not bad for 9 year olds.

But now, when I climb a ladder at work, I climb this:
But I feel like I'm climbing this:
I realize this is silly, but today at work, as I was trying to change a light bulb in a ceiling fixture. I started sweating, and I felt like I was about to fall. I almost dropped a fluorescent ligh(apparently a bad thing) and I managed to put in the new lightbulb. 

I just wish I knew why this fear started to manifest itself recently. Ahh well, can't win em all.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm so this is why you didn't climb up the fire tower with us on vacation a few years ago? Veryyy interesting...I thought you were just keeping mom company!!!

    Bummer Phil. I have a sudden fear of parking lots so it's all good. We're just a little nuts that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past few years, I developed a physical phobia of needles. I always hated them and made a big deal about needing shots or blood tests as a kid, but instead of growing out of it, I turned into one of those people who has to be lying down to get blood drawn. Because whether or not I start out that way, I will end up that way.

    ReplyDelete